Having the following information at hand while you install the software will greatly speed up the process.
- The key to the server issued by WebMaster Incorporated order department. If you do
not have a key then you can install using the Trial mode and when asked you may enter
TRIAL in the key area.
- The hostname or qualified domain name for your server. This is not the name that
you want to call your chat server rather the hostname that resolves on the Internet or
- What name do you want to call your server. It must have a period '.' in it. This is usually
the same as your hostname and if your server is public you will probably want your
hostname and server name to be the same. Something like chat.yourdomain.com or
- A brief description of your server. This will be shown to users that log on and is
like a short mission statement for the service.
- An email address that users on the system can use to contact for help or problems.
- The ports you wish your chat server to listen on. Do not include the web server
port in this list. The first port listed is the primary port and if you're installing
more than one ConferenceRoom server on the machine the first port must be unique to this
server. For more information please see the technical note on
- ConferenceRoom has system host users we call Channel Agents. These Agents hold
channels open and can send greetings to users and also have a limited command set
that will allow you to get Channel Operator status easily by sending it a single
command. Because this looks like a user you must select a Nickname for it. This
name cannot be over 30 characters long (the shorter the better) and should be
indicative of your use of the server.
- The port you would like the web server to listen on. You may use '0' if you don't
wish to run our internal web server. Do not use '80' unless no other web server will
run on this machine using that port. Also, Unix systems should read the note at the bottom of the
- The name and password of your systems administrator. The name does not need to
be the same as the nickname you use inside the chat server. To get
System Administrator or Operator
status, or to configure your system using the web interface you will need to remember
the name and password.
- Do you wish to run CRServices? Services is what allows you to register nicknames and
channels on the server. You should enable services unless you are linking to
another server that already provides services.
For your convenience we have provided a form for you to fill out with the information
you need to have ready for your installation: Check List
Note: If you are installing ConferenceRoom on a Unix machine and do not know the
conifguration of the equipment, or know your way around the Unix Operating system
you may want to contact your System Administrator or MIS department. If you're
planning on using port 80 to install the web server then you must start the process
using root privileges. It is our suggestion that you initially install ConferenceRoom
using ports over 1024 initially and then change these at a later time. This will
ensure that you have no issues during your installation period.